Consumer eUICC with test and GSMA certificates sampling at sysmocom now

Hi All,

as some of you know, I’ve been working quite a bit in the domain of eSIM and eUICC. Two of those results are the sysmoEUICC1-C2G and sysmoEUICC1-C2T products which are now shipping as samples from the sysmocom webshop.

sysmoEUICC1-C2T is a GSMA SGP.22 (consumer) eUICC with SGP.26 (test) certificates+key material installed. This means that anyone can create and sign eSIM profiles for it, and download them from SM-DP+ that operate within the SGP.26 test root. This in turn is possible using self-hosted osmo-smdpp or the freely hosted / internet-accessible smdpp.test.rsp.sysmocom.de. Samples are available from the sysmocom webshop.

sysmoEUICC1-C2G is a GSMA SGP.22 (consumer) eUICC with production GSMA certificates+key material installed. This means that you can (only) install real-world production eSIM profiles from random cellular operators. Samples are available from the sysmocom webshop.

Some more details are availble from the sysmoEUICC1 user manual

It is my sincere hope that together with open source projects like osmo-smdpp, these products will make eUICC and eSIM technology much more accessible and enable virtually anyone to explore and experiment this technology, which like many cellular technologies has existed in a very small and obscure niche so far, inaccessible to anyone outside the rather small related industry.

2 Likes

It has taken too long, but now finally the sysmoEUICC1-C2G (with GSMA production certificates for SGP.21 consumer eSIM RSP) production batch has arrived at sysmocom and is available from stock. They can be ordered from the webshop.

Unlike the sysmoEUICC1-C2G samples available so far (but similar to the C2T SGP.26 test eUICC), they contain an ARA applet with the hashes of the signer key of EasyEUICC. This should allow using EasyEUICC out-of-the-box as an LPAd on any Android phone.

1 Like

Hi Harald,
this is a great event indeed.
Congratulations you could make it happen!

I’m new to the topic,
but still I would like to get better impression about openness of the project.
Particularly, does the code inside eSIM itself open?

Is the EasyEUICC apk (PeterCxy / OpenEUICC app-unpriv-release.apk) really working on any new Android phone as a LPAd without rooting the phone?

The sysmoEUICC1 eUICC has around 300kByte free space according to the PDF manual. So I can only download 2-3 big eSim profiles on it.
Is there a chance that the memory will be increased in future to 1MB (instead of 500kB) as of now? I heard that a first 1MB eUICC card is available in a chinese store.

Well, one certainly can never promise any phone will work. But for sure, in general, I’ve seen it work on many phones. The only feature the phone needs to support is the OMAPI and UICC Carrier Privileges.

I don’t have a lot of experience with size of commerical eSIM profiles, but I would be surprised if they usually are that large. It would either mean they used very inefficient encoding, or contain a lot of [generally useless] Java applets. Are you aware of any eSIM profile size statistics somewhere?

We’re seeing more interest in eUICC with larger memory size. 200kB to 1200kB additional available storage may be possible in the future, but it all depends on availability of chips to which the CardOS has been ported, and whose combination of Chip+CardOS have GSMA SAS approval.

1 Like
  • the eUICC CardOS is proprietary (like any cardOS I know)
  • the eUICC smart card chip documentation is not available (like any eUICC capable smart card chips I know)

In terms of the code in the eSIM [profile]: The only code contained in such a profile are [optional] Java cardlets of the operator issuing that eSIM profile. So if you are creating your own profile you can of course put some open source java cardlets inside.

1 Like

Some profile sizes are listed on this Chinese page: https://post.cplus8.com/d/663/2
Usually in the range of 10 kByte to 100 kByte for a single profile.

From my own experience, when writing to the card via the card seller’s app, a further 10 to 30 kByte was added in each case, so that I needed a total of over 170 kByte for just two different standard profile downloads (one profile each from Eskimo and o2).

Due to an apparent error in the type of my card (not a sysmocom one), it can also happen that the card is irreparably damaged during the download process (due to insufficient free memory). It is therefore not always possible to use a remaining memory space of e.g. 100 kByte on the card (with a total size of 500 kByte), as the download of an (unknown) profile can require noticeably more than 100 kByte.

A 1MB eUICC card from Suyika Technology can already be ordered in China, but I do not know whether this card has the required GSMA certificates and SAS.

1 Like

Here some further eSim profile sizes in the range of 10 kByte to 100 kByte (or more) for a single profile:

1 Like