RetroNetCall; our [almost] monthly online meeting

I’ll use this thread to announce the individual RetroNetCalls.

Today, I’m happy to announce the next incarnation of RetroNetCall, the retronetworking oriented spin-off of OsmoDevCall

This time, there’s no formal presentation. However, if people are interested, laforge can report on the ISDN_at_CCC_Camp_2023 which jolly and laforge operated last month.

When: Wednesday, September 6, 2023 from 20:00 CEST

Where: RetroNetCall (Big Blue Button of https://franken.de/)

1 Like

I had this so much on my agenda, but for personal reasons I was not able to attend :confused:
Has the call been recorded?

It was not.

And now a useless sentence because apparently posts on discourse can’t be less than 20 characters …

It is a configurable setting, and I just reduced it to 10 characters on any but the initial post. As a site admin, you also have access to those settings yourself, btw!

We’re happy to announce the next incarnation of RetroNetCall, the retronetworking oriented spin-off of OsmoDevCall

This time, there’s no formal presentation. However, laforge (and maybe some others) can report on

• The rescuing efforts of an EWSD (digital telephony exchange) that was recently transported to its new home with jolly
  • Some initial research into the BildTel_001, presumably the first ISDN video telephone in the German ISDN network

When: Wednesday, November 1, 2023 from 20:00 CET

Where: RetroNetCall

1 Like

We’re happy to announce the next incarnation of RetroNetCall , the retronetworking oriented spin-off of OsmoDevCall

This time, @laforge (and maybe some others) will give a tour of divf, the central office of the OCTOI network based on yate + dahdi-trunkdev

We’ll look into how subscriber E1 terminate in osmo-e1d + dahid-trunkdev, how that feeds into yate, how the routing/dialplan works, as well as the new SS7/ISUP interconnects to the two EWSD.

When: Wednesday, December 6, 2023 from 20:00 CET

Where: RetroNetCall

I kindly ask this meeting to be recorded; I already have an appointment tonight which I cannot shift and it would mean like a nice santa clause gift to me that I can gather the information later on :slight_smile:

Yes, usually all of them are recorded - unless they are super informal without any actual prepared presentation. It will usually take some weeks until they are cut + published by @tnt - who has just moved to a new home, and hence I expect it might even take a bit longer due to that.

Meanwhile you can normally find the raw video at RetroNetCall - at least after BigBlueButton has published it there, which can be a number of hours after the meeting ended due to internal post-processing.

1 Like

Yesterday, I finally found the time to watch it. Thank you very much for the comprehensive and interesting insight into OCTOI’s engine room.

1 Like

We’re happy to announce the next incarnation of RetroNetCall, the retronetworking oriented spin-off of OsmoDevCall

This time, there’s no formal presentation. However, if people are interested, laforge can report on his most recent equipment acquisitions, primarily a vvariety of PDH (Siemens_FastLink) and SDH gear.

When: Wednesday, January 3, 2024 from 20:00 CET

2024-02-07: RetroNetCall (no presentation)

This time, there’s (again)no formal presentation - just friendly folks hanging out to chat about ancient communications technology.

When: Wednesday, February 7, 2024 from 20:00 CET

2024-03-06: RetroNetCall on decoding Fax G4 protocol traces

This time, laforge will give a brief look decoding Telefax G4 protocol traces, as he recently acquired one of the few G4-capable fax machines, a Canon_FAX-L260i. G4 is the digital-only version of Telefax that works without a modem, directly over the 64k ISDN B-channel.

We’ll look into the ITU-specs of Group 4 Facsimile Service as well as at an actual B-channel protocol trace taken a few days ago.

When: Wednesday, March 6, 2023 from 20:00 CET

Time Topic Who
20:00 Meet and Greet everyone
20:10 decoding Telefax G4 protocol traces laforge
21:00 USSE (Unstructured Supplementary Social Event) everyone