Chaos Communication Camp 2023

• Event Name: Chaos Communication Camp 2023
  • Date: August 15-19, 2023
  • Location: Ziegeleipark Mildenberg, Zehdenick, Brandenburg, Germany
  • URL: Chaos Communication Camp 2023

The camp will feature the following osmocom related bits:

Who else is going? Anyone know of SDR friendly villages we could hack at?

From what I know there’s at least @jolly, lynxis, @horizon, steve-m, @tnt, @jsteiger, @Manawyrm and me attending the camp.

Unfortuantely I didn’t follow any of the preparation until it was way too late and I also have no clue about whether there’s any villages one might want to “attach” to. I am curently planning to bring a one Biergarnitur table + bench (on the roof of my car), so we’d have at least a table - even if no shade / tarp / hack-tent yet.

Yeah, I’ll be there although given I’m coming by plane (then train, then bus), I can’t exactly bring a lot of stuff. I’ll have a camping chair, but that’s about it.

I also couldn’t even find a map with the area assigned to each villages ATM, not sure if it’s defined yet or not. Seems like everything is a bit late this year.

@horizon should be bringing my camp chair. I now of 4 gnuradio related people coming this year, but mostly from the US.

I’ll be there, unfortunately only during the official days, will arrive late, have to leave early. Associated with the SOCO village (will have dect/sip 4593).

FYI, this is the state of mechanical assembly of the NOKIA EKSOS N20 based ISDN/POTS network access for CCC Camp 2023 (and other future events):

just a quick update:

• the network is up and running. We have four points of presence all across the camp site
  • interconnection to the POC (on-site DECT + SIP network) and GSM network works
  • we also have attached a couple of fax machines
  • inbound/outbound connectivity possible via the POC SIP trunk
  • Yesterday there was an interview by c3voc.tv with the POC + ISDN team at the camp, showing also (briefly) one of the access multiplexers in one of the traditional “Datenklo” points of presence to which subscribers can get wired up: media.ccc.de - POC
2 Likes

Really nice, while best parts were the ISDN t-shirt and the T-ISDN lanyard :slight_smile:
Unfortunately, there was not always a clear distinction between the work of the POC and what makes the ISDN infrastructure different.
However, the explanation of what the colored stripes in the ISDN logo mean where a bit buggy ^^
I hope the experiment was successful and you had “Spaß am Gerät” :wink:
@laforge You mentioned that there have been numerous logos for ISDN over time. Maybe it could be fun to create e.g. a wiki page to collect them?
I spontaneously remember

• An early logo that I only dimly remember. I think a shade of pink was included as a color.
  • The logo you had on your t-shirt (my personal favourite)
  • the “logo” jolly had on his lanyard (T ISDN with the grey “Deutsche Telekom squares”, with capital ISDN letters)
  • A grey rectangle with basically “isdn” as small letters without space.

Using the ISDN network at Camp was quite fun.

I ran a line (about 150m) to the next V5 access multiplexer.
Apparently the cheap phone cable I bought was too cheap – several of the 100m spools of cables had internal shorts and were shorting the Uk0 bus against the shield,
which lead to some fun and exciting surprises for me (and parts of the phone team after that), because we accidentally touched the NTBA supply voltage.

I successfully managed to send a fax via ISDN to the ChaosPost (which then delivered the printed thermal fax as physical mail on camp grounds) and we also managed to fix another T-View 100 (ISDN video telephone) :slight_smile:

Did I just hear Pollin? :smiley:

No, it was big Jeff… It was sold as in-wall wiring cable, so I’m pretty happy that I didn’t put this in my walls. That would’ve been very bad to realise that it’s broken right after permanently installing it.

Next time I’ll just use regular CAT.5/6/7 wiring. I’ve never had this happen before and I really mistreated TP-CAT5/6/7 cables in the past.

I asked for a reason. :slight_smile: I once had a J-Y(St)Y 2x2 bought from Pollin, where the wires regularly broke off after absolving. That was so far by far the worst telecommunications cable I had in hand.

Yeah, this was J-Y(St)Y 2x2 as well, so this might have just been the exact same cable.
Absolute garbage :laughing:

I think this all might actually go back to a lack of complete understanding of the c3voc.tv team on the difference between the two projects. In fact, until I went to the studio I had understood that they would do an interview just about the ISDN/PSTN, and a separate one about the POC. That also explains why the (much more relevant and older) POC had only one person on the sofa, while “the full team” for the (not very relevant to the overall event or used, new) ISDN/PSTN was present.

On-site the collaboration with the POC was excellent. @jolly and I had some space in the POC tent to provide user support and from which we can run/monitor the network. We also could help the POC in return (like teardown after the event).

Yeah, it really caught me off-guard, as I generally know more about telecom protocols and technical history than about marketing and logos…

Please also note that the ISDN/PSTN network did in fact play a surprising role in the Hacken, dass show. This is a parody of a [also quite retro 1981-2014] German TV show Wetten Dass, where bets are being made whether or not a seemingly difficult task can be performed. At the CCC event, one of those bets was whether or not it would be possible to deploy a Fax machine during the show and receive inbound telefax from the PSTN on it. None of us knew about it (obviously) and I doubt the people hosting the show knew that we had in fact deployed the ISDN/PSTN network on site and had two fax machines running on it in a tente some 50m nearby. So it took something like 5 minutes to complete it and wasn’t a real challenge.

Another of the bets awas whether @christian would be capable of writing a decoder for wether-fax from scratch using a stock Ubuntu Linux (with sox, gimp and C compiler) in less than 5 minutes. And indeed, he could convert the received RF capture (WAV file) provided by on-site HAM operators into a digital picture within 5 minutes.

2 Likes

OK, that was quite fun to watch :laughing:
Christians decoder was also quite neat, what a code-golfing effort… Holy moly :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well what I found particularly fascinating was that the audience actually had an emotional response to me doing some trivial coding.

That looked far from trivial, even as someone who has a rough idea of what that code was doing.
90% of people have no idea how PCM samples, image data, etc. work internally.

I’m putting together a wiki page on how I built the wooden EKSOS racks/carrying-cases at Nokia EKSOS N20 DIY carrying case - Retronetworking - Open Source Mobile Communications

I’ll add a bill of materials and links to the design files there shortly.

A question from an interested layman: I saw that you use Meanwell power supplies. I’ve had people who know a lot more about electronics than I do tell me that Meanwell power supplies are “bad” and to avoid them. Maybe you can shed some light on this or have longer-term experience with Meanwell power supplies?